1. Boko Haram had seized a large swath of northeast Nigeria and declared an Islamic caliphate.
2. Consumers are understandably concerned about payment card security after a long swath of breaches.
3. Given the high cost, banks bundle diverse products and services they hope will attract a broad swath of customers.
4. Travel was already impossible across a wide swath of the Ohio River valley.
5. The Wisconsin tornado was part of a huge swath of the Plains and Upper Midwest threatened with severe weather.